- Duration: 30 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Wellington
"If I dreaded anything, it was going up into Quinn’s"
- Private William Anderson, of the Otago Infantry Battalion.
Using cutting edge technology developed by Sir Peter Jackson and his WingNut Films team, visitors will be guided through Quinn’s Post by the ghosts of New Zealand soldiers. Great care has been taken to ensure that the terraces, tunnels and trenches accurately reflect those of Quinn’s Post as it was in 1915.
This fully immersive 30-minute experience has visitors moving through a trench and tunnel system under simulated rifle fire. Lights are dim, loud replicated rifle fire pierces the half-light, illuminating the smelly, rough living conditions the men faced each day. The experience uses state of the art technology, creative audio visual and innovative construction techniques. Quinn’s Post was one of a handful of positions taken during the Gallipoli landing on 25th April 2015. In places, the Turkish trenches were only a few metres away – an easy distance to throw a bomb. The soldiers constantly expecting to be wounded or killed by the incessant sniping and rain of bombs that the Turks directed at them.
Please be aware:
· Sections of the Quinn's Post Trench Experience are constricted in height and width
· There are 23 steps within the Experience, with uneven ground. Care must be taken and appropriate footwear is recommended. There is no wheelchair access nor are there handrails within the Experience.
· Theatrical lighting and loud sound effects are used.
· The experience is not recommended for children below the age of 8 as some children may find this experience disturbing. Parental guidance is essential. Ceiling heights drop to 1600mm (63 inch) in places.
Tunnels narrow to 700mm (27.5inch) in places.
Some internal surfaces are slightly uneven, with 23 steps and no handrails.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your Trench Experience booking, as groups depart promptly at their scheduled times.